Tuesday, January 6, 2009

#$%^ Happens.....



I hate to say this but, EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) is dead. Ziff Davis, the magazines owner, has sold the 1UP nextwork (the online subsiderary to EGM) to Hearst publications. While EGM wasn't bought by Hearst, 1UP (the network including gamevideos.com,Mycheats.com, and Gametab.com) will now be a part of UGO.com.

I've been a long time fan of EGM and I remember bragging to my friends about my 1UP points when the network was first created. Over the past two years i've enjoyed the 1UP show and 1UP Yours podcasts and i hope they can both be salvaged. 

It's sad to see what's happening to print publication, but this is where the market is heading and it's more and more online. In fact, my favorite videogame magazines of all time are EGM, Official PlayStation Magazine, and Gamepro, but over the last years every magazine i've loved has gotten slimmer and eventually they die...

So, my best wishes go out to the people i've grown to know through the pages of EGM. Also to those who won't make the transistion to UGO. And finally the remainder of the staff that does make the transistion, good luck.

More info from other outlets:






and of course check out the editor/staff blogs on www.1up.com

UPDATE: It's looking like both podcasts might not continue....



2 comments:

Trey said...

Holy hell. That's a big shocker to me. I still remember buying EGMs around 1999 during the launch of the Dreamcast, and they were always good reads. I'm more surprised with what will happen to 1up's podcasts out of this as well, though, I don't know if 1up ever did a good job of really making the magazine important since all of the info I really needed to know was centered in the podcasts.

Still, disappointing loss.

Adrian Garcia said...

Print publications really are heading online. Even newspapers are getting hit hard, and it isn't just the economy.